Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Response to Sky Angel

In response to my recent mini rant about Christian programming I had a comment from someone who is concerned that I am misinformed about Sky Angel and that I treated them unfairly. The contents of that response are below.

Dear Mike,
First of all, there isn't such a thing as the "Sky Angel Network" or channel. Sky Angel is a television service carrying many channels of faith and family programming. It appears you think it's an actual channel. I have Sky Angel, and it's not all preaching. There are kids channels and teen channels, music channels, documentaries, and, yes, even news from a Christian perspective. So before you criticize something, you should really know what you are criticizing.

I appreciate the rebuttal and I understand that there are many who enjoy the programming. However, I also understand that Sky Angel is a satellite service that has 3 channels that they sponsor themselves (only one of which they produce themselves--kids programming) and many others that they purchase the rights to broadcast (such as Discovery Kids). I appreciate also that they are trying to provide a family friendly alternative by selecting channels to broadcast that do not have the violence and suggestive content that are typical.

However, the 2 channels that they offer that I receive on Dish Network (Angel 1 and EWTN) are typical of what I described in my previous post and lack what I would consider to be content that is relevant to the world that most people live in. I believe with all my heart that we as Christians are capable of creativity that rivals any we see on other networks and that we can do it without compromising the message that we all carry. I do not believe that what we are putting out there now lives up to that. We can do better.

Pray for Peace.
Mike

No comments: