Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Road Rash...(sort of)

The doctor walked briskly into the examination room and directly to where the patient lay in obvious pain. "So what seems to be the problem?", he asked.
The patient, rather than describing his injury, which is what the doctor expected, launched into to an exceptionally convoluted accounting of the incident that apparently led to his eventual arrival at the ER.
"OK. So it's really kind of silly, but it's not really my fault. The owner of the gym even admitted that the stupid thing was too close to the wall. But they bought all of this new stuff and had to really crowd everything in there and they just put it too close to the wall. *Deep breath* Anyway, I was getting up to speed gradually--just passing 4 and a half miles an hour--when I first noticed that there were mirrors on 3 sides of me and I could see myself in all 3 at the same time. Although the third one I could only see as a reflection in the other 2. Then there was the reflection of my reflection in the one in front of me and I could see the reflection of that reflection in the one behind me as a reflection in the one in front of me. And it seemed to go on endlessly, just one reflection of another one of another one. So I wanted to see if I could actually see all the way to the end of them to the very last one. You know, what it would be like--my back or my front at the very end. I guess it was about the time I was getting up to full speed--maybe 6 and a half miles an hour--that I sort of lost focus on what I was doing because of the mirrors and I fell. Then, of course, the belt kept on going and swept me off the back of the thing and then because the wall was too close, like I said before, I was pinned between the belt and the wall lying on my back against the belt and it just kept turning. I know I probably should have used the emergency stop cord, but nobody uses them. Heck, most of them are tied around the bars out of the way. And I couldn't get up because I was more or less trapped there until a couple of the other people came and grabbed me and pulled me off of the thing. Then the ambulance came and they...."
Finally the doctor interrupted and asked, "Where are you hurt?" And the patient rolled to one side so the doc could see his back and there was a symmetrical hollow all the way across his it just below the shoulder blades that was nothing but raw meat and blood. "You're telling me you did this by falling off of a treadmill?!!" he exclaimed.
"Yeah", the patient said. "That's what that whole story was about. I should get a hell of a settlement out of it," he smiled.
The doctor said, very calmly, "Close your eyes for me"; which the patient did. The doctor planted his foot firmly against the wall of the examination room, for leverage, and punched the guy dead in the face. "Idiot", he mumbled as he walked out.

No comments: